How Do I Apply for Medicaid Extended Coverage (MEC)?

Medicaid Extended Coverage is not automatic. It is the responsibility of the policyholder and/or their representative to apply for Medicaid Extended Coverage. Whether you have a Total Asset Protection policy or a Dollar-for-Dollar Asset Protection policy, to apply for Medicaid Extended Coverage you must contact the Local Department of Social Services (LDSS) in the county where you reside. If you are residing in a nursing home or an adult residential care facility, your county of residence for Medicaid purposes should, in most instances, be the county where you were residing prior to your admission. The LDSS is responsible for conducting the Medicaid Extended Coverage eligibility process.

A Mention about Assisted Living:

It is important for Policyholders to ask the Assisted Living Residence (ALR) what kind of payment it accepts. Many ALRs accept private payment or long term care insurance, and some accept Supplemental Security Income (SSI) as the primary method of payment. Currently, Medicaid and Medicare will NOT pay for residing in an ALR, although they may pay for certain medical services received while in the ALR, such as in the case of the New York State Assisted Living Program (ALP). For more information, please view the following resources or contact your Local Department of Social Services.